Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tuesday: California



Tuesdays are a busy day for me so I thought I would write about something easy: where I live! Southern California. I grew up on the East Coast so there is A LOT for me to explore. Last week I visited a very scary and sad place while on a mini-vacation to Palm Springs.

The Salton Sea. Ever heard of it? You should because it is "California's crown jewel of avian diversity", but besides that it is a SPOOKY place. Salton Sea was once a major tourist attraction with a major yacht club, celebrities, water sports, and more importantly: people! In the town of Bombay Beach, there are only 300 people living there. Over 90% of California's wetlands have been lost so this place is crucial for birds! Salton Sea is actually a salt water LAKE that rests on on a desert basin known as the Salton Sink.
It took about 45 minutes to drive from Palm Springs but it was worth it. Palm Springs can be a little slow (but Lord it is relaxing) so it's good to have some things planned when you go!

Sophie and Winston pictures are a must. They always come with us on our road trips and vacations in CA!


The Salton Sea has 30% of the population of the American White Pelican.

Trailer sunk into the ground. I told you it was a spooky place!

"The Hills have Eyes" graffiti on a house that someone lives in!



Beautiful but weird. It's worth checking out. Yes, this was a little bizarre to write about for my first 

California post, but I just was there and it was pretty wild.
If you are interested, here is a trailer for a documentary that John Waters 
made called "Plagues and Pleasures of the Salton Sea." It's on Netflix 
so I am very excited to get it!
xo Sarah.