Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wednesday: Gospel Backups

I have a little music obsession.  I love songs with a gospel backup.  A lot. So much so that I like to pretend I am in a gospel choir while listening to them but that's a story for another time.  I get very animated when I am listening to a song I LOVE!

YES! Gospel backups make me as happy as Tina in this picture. How cute is she in this outfit???
This was in 1984 people, it all comes back around in style.

By the way, nothing is wrong with your computer.. I made the YouTube videos tiny on purpose.

Rolling Stones- "Gimme Shelter"
Side note about this song: I always think about doing an adventure in Cuba in the 60's (Bay of Pigs?? Do I really think about Bay of Pigs during this song??)




Madonna- "Like a Prayer"
Duh!!!!!!




Foreigner- "I Want to Know What Love is"



Joe Cocker-"With a little help from my friends"
When I have kids and a husband I making my family video to this song.  Yes, I am going to copy "The Wonder Years."



Tina and Ike Turner- "Proud Mary"
Love you if you ever have tried to dance like Tina Turner in the privacy of your own home..




Jay-Z ft. Jaguar Wright- "Heart of the City" - UNPLUGGED
Take EM to CHURCH!!!!!- That's the start of it all getting broken down for ya.  The Jay-Z unplugged record is great, that's the Roots performing with him!



Whitney Houston- "Joy to the World"
This is a Christmas song obviously, but it should always be included in the list because this has to be the hands down winner of best gospel back up song in history...... This song gives me goosebumps!



Whitney Houston and CeCe Winans- "Bridge over Troubled Water"



Michael Jackson "Man in the Mirror"
Classic!!!! It took me until my 20's to realize that this song wasn't about a literal man in the mirror....I thought there was a man living in the mirror for most of my life. Maybe that was TMI.



Kayne West- "Jesus Walks"
A classic workout jam for me, especially during the last stretch of working out! It reminds me of an Army bootcamp workout for some reason.  I think this is one of Kanye's best songs.



R Kelly- "I Believe I Can Fly"



Nas- "New World"
I'm a major Nas fan.  He has provided me many a great workout with his music.  Nas fans aren't fans of this song.  Well I love it!




Jay-Z - "Pray" - American Gangster
American Gangster is so underrated- I think it's one of Jay-Z's BEST records.  I love an old soul vibe though. "Pray for me!!!!"




John Legend- "Slow Dance"
Romantic song alert.....My favorite John Legend song!



The Lion King- "Circle of Life"
Many a night at my house has been spent singing the African part (Swahili?) of this song to each other. Hey you have to relax somehow.  I love this song.  When Simba's dad holds him up for all the other animals to bow down.. What a heart melter!!



Michael Jackson- "Will you Be There?"
DO NOT LAUGH! This is from the Free Willy soundtrack.  I love this song!!! This song is soooo so so good.



Dixie Chicks- "I Hope"



The Caravans- "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"
CLASSIC Gospel. This is great if you aren't familiar with gospel. This recording is from 1958.



Choeur Gospel Celebration and S. Desgroseilliers- "Oh Happy Day"



Mahalia Jackson- "When the Saints Go Marching In"




LYLAS,
xo, Sarah